Building and development
Information about building and development in the Northern Territory.
- Development application: Indigenous land
Information about planning and development on Indigenous land.
- Indigenous community engineering guidelines (ICEG)
Guidelines for provision of essential services to remote communities.
- Building and renovating a home
Permits and requirements for residential building work in the Northern Territory.
- Building and renovating: permits and processes
Information about building certification and permits in the Northern Territory.
- Building a garden shed, carport, fence or shade structure
Legal exemptions, certification for occupancy and building approvals needed, for building a garden shed, carport, fence or shade structure in the Northern Territory.
- Building an independent unit
Permits and legal requirements for building an independent unit or granny flat in the Northern Territory.
- Building and energy efficiency
Information about energy efficient homes and the star energy ratings that are needed for houses and apartments in the Northern Territory.
- Check if your builder is registered
Search the Public Register of Building Practitioners.
- Converting a shed into a house
Building and legal approvals for converting a shed into a house in the Northern Territory.
- Get an owner builder certificate
How to get an owner builder certificate if you want to build or extend a home on your own land.
- Renovating or refurbishing wet areas in your home
Requirements for renovating the bathroom, toilet, ensuite, powder room or laundry of a house, shed or garage in the Northern Territory.
- Residential building insurance
Information about residential building insurance in the Northern Territory.
- Termite protection
Recommendations and requirements for termite protection systems in residential buildings.
- Audit of a building practitioner
How an audit is conducted by the Director of Building Control on a building practitioner.
- Contact Building Advisory Services
Get contact details for your nearest Northern Territory Building Advisory Services office.
- Contact Lands Planning and Development Assessment Services
Contact Northern Territory Government planning and development services.
- Building certification industry: forms and resources
Find out about and get forms and other resources related to building industry certification.
- About occupancy certification
Find out how to gain approval to occupy renovated and new buildings in the Northern Territory (NT).
- Non-conforming building products
Making sure you use building products that conform and comply to the National Construction Code.
- Asbestos and building
Information for working or living in a home with asbestos in the Northern Territory.
- Cyclone, storm surge and riverine flooding building and development standards
Information about living and building in areas of the Northern Territory affected by cyclone, storm surge and riverine flooding.
- Health requirements for mining and construction camps
Environmental health requirements for mining and construction projects in the NT, including food safety, on-site wastewater management and public health.
- Building Notes
Get Building Notes, documents produced by the Director of Building Control to explain legislation, regulations and policy related to building.
- Planning notices online
How to get planning notices online from the Development Applications Online website.
- Public hearings on behalf of the minister
These meetings may be held when a development application is lodged in areas where the Minister for Lands and Planning is the consent authority.
- NT Planning Commission hearings
The NT Planning Commission is the reporting body pm hearings that deal with planning scheme amendments or exceptional development permits.
- Heritage properties: building works and development
Heritage listed properties and information to help before you do any building works, redevelopments or repairs.
- Building: private open space
Planning requirements for private open space in the Northern Territory.
- Building single dwellings on small lots
Requirements for building single dwellings on small lots in the Northern Territory.
- Jabiru Town Plan
The planning scheme for the town of Jabiru.
- Northern Territory Planning Scheme
Information about the Northern Territory Planning Scheme.
- Development and planning fees and forms
Find out about fees and forms related to development and planning services.
- Development One Stop Shop: applications and processes
Information for developers and the general public about the Development One Stop Shop and handling of development applications.
- Development permit
About development permits including types of permit, how to apply and meeting the conditions of a permit.
- Zoned land: development and land use complaints
Make a complaint about a failure to follow planning or zoning rules and laws.
- Zoning maps
Get zoning maps including for the Northern Territory, including for urban areas and Major Remote Towns.
What different land zones mean, how to look up zones, unzoned land and how to apply to change zoning.