Rules for spearfishing
There are rules about what you can catch when spearfishing, the equipment and techniques you can use, and where you can spearfish in the Northern Territory (NT).
Fish possession and minimum size limits apply to all spear fishers. Go to possession limits to read more.
You must not use any kind of underwater breathing gear such as scuba or hookah while spearfishing.
Loaded spear guns
You must not have a loaded spear gun other than in the open sea.
You must not have a loaded spear gun within 150m of a person who is not a member of your party.
Areas where spearfishing is banned
You must not use a spear gun in any of the following areas:
- in all parks and reserves managed by the Parks and Wildlife Commission NT
- East Point Aquatic Life Reserve
- Doctors Gully Aquatic Life Reserve
- Stokes Hill Wharf - including underneath the wharf, its approach, and within 50m of the outer edge of the wharf and its approach
- Mary River Fish Management Zone
- reef fish protection areas.
Last updated: 20 June 2018