Become a homestay family
This page has information on hosting an international student in your home, the conditions and how to apply.
As a homestay family you will welcome an international student between 15 and 18 years of age into your home while the student is studying at a Northern Territory (NT) government school.
In some cases the homestay family will act as the guardian of the student.
Role of a homestay family
Students will attend school to study, but are also encouraged by the homestay family to do all of the following:
- take part in sporting and social activities
- socialise with other international students as well as friends at school and your family, friends and contacts
- attend school regularly and inform the school if they are sick or unable to attend for some other reason. It is a condition of their visa they attend school.
As a homestay family you will be expected to provide all of the following:
- a bedroom with air conditioning or ceiling fan
- bed linen
- furniture in the bedroom including a bed, mattress, wardrobe (or storage for clothes), study desk, chair, study lamp
- meals (as agreed)
- laundry facilities
- key to the house
- orientation to the local area and facilities including the public bus system
- a friendly and relaxed atmosphere treating the student as a member of the family.
You will also negotiate with the student regarding all of the following:
- cleaning the student's room
- use of kitchen and cooking facilities
- use of vacuum cleaner and iron
- use of telephone
- watching television with the family.
Students are not encouraged to drive a car unless they have their parent's permission and have a valid licence.
Students must keep you informed of their whereabouts and must notify you and the school of holiday addresses and activities.
Working with children clearance card
All family members in your household over 15 years of age must have a working with children clearance card (Ochre Card).
Your homestay coordinator will provide you with the documentation or you can apply online.
Read how to apply or renew a working with children clearance.
|Initial student airport pick up|
Free of charge
AU$270 per week, which includes access to breakfast, ingredients to make lunch, snacks and a cooked dinner. Students are to have the same access to food as all other residents of the household. Students must have their own room. Some families may charge more depending on the services they provide.
AU$50 per week when you are absent from your homestay accommodation during stand down time. Homestay families can ask for up to 50% of the weekly board if the student is away from the homestay during school semester time (minimum one week).
If you want to cancel the homestay arrangement after the minimum period, you must give the student two weeks' notice of termination in writing.
Any issues should be referred to the homestay coordinator in international education services.
The student is responsible for any damage in your home.
Disputes between you and the student in relation to property damage, unpaid rent and other bills are dealt with by you and your student directly.
The Department of Education has no obligation to make good any damage or pay bills.
How to apply
To apply to become a homestay family fill in the form.
Submit the form by mail or email.
International education services
Department of Education
GPO Box 4621
Darwin NT 0801
You can contact the homestay coordinator by either:
- phone: (08) 8901 1336
- fax: (08) 8999 5788
Last updated: 03 August 2018