Legal Policy advises the department, other Ministers and government agencies on legal policy and legislative reform.
Its role is to
- implement the Minister for Justice and Attorney-General's legislative program;
- identify the need for, and formulate changes to the law and legal system for submission to the Department and Cabinet;
- ensure quality legal policy advice is provided to the department, other Ministers, including the Chief Minister and government generally.
Legal Policy also provides:
- briefings and continuing professional development sessions about particular legislation and legislative projects
- background papers to legislative changes, summaries of and fact sheets about changes, including frequently asked questions
- opportunities for input, discussion and consultation into issues and projects where appropriate
- support to a range of government and community agencies through committees, advisory councils and working groups;
- executive and administrative support for Crime Victims Advisory Council (CVAC), the NT Law Reform Committee and the Official Visitors Program
- liaison with the NT Law Society.
Useful External Links
Department of the Chief Minister's Website
Northern Territory Legislation