Births, Deaths and Marriages

Other Resources

Quick Links

Registrar General Getting Married

Legal requirements for getting married in the Northern Territory.

A Notice of Intended Marriage Form (PDF) needs to be lodged with the Marriage Celebrant of the couple's choice. The form has to be lodged for one month and one day before the day of marriage, and is valid for 18 months. Arrangements should be made within that time to get married. Couples may choose to be married by one of the following Celebrants:

The Registrar's certified copy of each party's birth certificate needs to be produced, and any change of name certificates, together with evidence of the termination of a previous marriage - for example, Death Certificate in the event of a death or Divorce Decree Absolute in the event of a divorce.

Fees and procedures vary with each Celebrant or Church so intending couples should speak with the relevant person direct.

The Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department administers the Marriage Act 1961 and Marriage Celebrants program.

Top of Page