Daly River Bridge
Works are underway on a new single lane bridge to be built across the Daly River, downstream of the existing crossing. The bridge will be approximately 184 metres long and will include a pedestrian walkway.
The project includes 2km of new road embankment connecting the bridge to the existing Daly River and Port Keats Roads, and allows widening of the bridge to two lanes in the future.
The existing crossing will remain open throughout the construction phase.
Approximately 800 metres downstream from the existing Daly River Crossing.
- The completed works will offer improved flood immunity and access to the community.
- The existing crossing is a low level causeway that is closed for more than three months each wet season resulting in no road connection to the Darwin region for the local businesses and communities while the crossing is closed.
- The new bridge will reduce the length of time the crossing is closed during each wet season.
- It will consist of single lane deck and a pedestrian walkway.
Commencement of works
Completion late 2012.
|Further Information:||08 8999 4837|
|Feedback:||Provide your feedback|
To allow for bridge works to take place, a section of the Daly River will be temporarily closed to all water craft for safety reasons.
The closed section of the river is 50m upstream and 50m downstream of
the new bridge site which is approximately 800m downstream of the
existing crossing. See fact sheet for further detail (pdf)
07 March 2012 - Daly River Bridge - February update
The new intersection leading to the Police Station and roadhouse on Daly River Road has been opened with sealing to take place in April 2012 (weather permitting).
Works that can be done around the intersection will continue over the wet season. These include further road and concrete works. See fact sheet for more detail (pdf)
Due to the current height of the Daly, the hazard markers warning river users to avoid the construction area have been submerged.
All river users need to be aware of the potential underwater hazards caused by these piles. See fact sheet for more detail (pdf)
12 September 2011 - Temporary River Closure
Piling and bridge construction works have started at the site of the new Daly River Bridge (approximately 800 metres downstream from the existing Daly River Crossing).
A section of the river 50 metres either side of the new bridge will be closed in the interest of public safety.
The closed section of the river will be marked by buoys, and river users are requested to keep clear of the exclusion zone. See map for more detail (pdf)
8 April 2011 - Tenders are now closed
March 2011 - A new single lane bridge will be built across the Daly River, downstream of the existing crossing.
- 14 Sept 2011 - Construction progressing on new $22.6 million Daly River Bridge
- 25 Feb 2011 - Tenders called to build new Daly River Bridge